Tchaikovsky Concert Hall

Tchaikovsky Concert Hall

History of teh hall:

Quantity of seats: 1505

Tchaikovsky Concert Hall of the Moscow Philharmonic Society on Triumfalnaya (formerly Mayakovskaya) Ploshchad is undoubtedly one of the most bizarre structures built in Moscow during the 20th century. The hall was completed one year before the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union.

The story of this festival hall goes back to the early 20th century, when French producer Charles Omon opened a theater here called the Bouffe Miniature. Next the popular Zon Theater came. In 1922 the theater acquired its greatest fame as the Teatr imeni Meierkholda, or the Meierhold Theater (the Theatre was situated in the old building).

The new building was planned by director-reformer Meierhold as the biggest and modern theatre in Moscow. In 1938, construction of the new building was mainly finished. In 1939, Meierhold was arrested and thereafter executed by shooting. The incomplete building was passed to the Moscow Philharmonic Society. In 1938, it was opened a subway station “Mayakovskaya” at the corner part of the building. In 1940, it was finished interior of the new Concert Hall. Many things remained from original project of an architect Tcherin. Original ellipsoid form of the Hall gave excellent visibility and audibility at any point.

In the heart of the stage was placed the Walcher organ imported from the Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul (Leningrag). Afterwards (in 1959), it was installed the electrical organ of the Czechoslovak firm “Rieger-Kloss” twice reconstructed later (1970, 1977).

Opening of the new concert hall of the Moscow Philharmonic Society named after P.I.Tchaikovsky was timed to centenary from the composer’s birth. On October 12, 1940, it was performed P.I.Tchaikovsky’s Sixth Symphony, “Francesca da Rimini”, the first part of the First Piano Concerto, airs from different operas and romances by the State Symphony Orchestra of the USSR under conducting of A.Gauk and K.Ivanov; L.Oborin, P.Nortsov, E.Kruglikova, V.Davydova and M.Reisen appeared on the stage as soloists.

During of sixty years of being there were first-rate musical events at the Hall. There were All-Union and All-Russian shows of academic and national ensembles, and symphony orchestras. There were ten-day periods, days of culture and arts of the USSR’s republics and foreign countries. Since 1962, the Hall became one of main stages of the International Competition named after P.Tchaikovsky. The Hall was by arena of All-Union competitions of choreographers, ballet artists, international chess tournaments and by filming area.

Nowadays, there are performances of leading soloists, symphony orchestras, choruses and choreographic ensembles at the Tchaikovsky Concert Hall. There are opera productions as concert performances and musical dramatic plays. Festivals and competitions “Russian Winter”, “Moscow Stars”, “Moscow Autumn”, “Talents of Russia”, “Pushkin Festival”, “Days of Poetry” and others take place at the Hall as well.

At this place the Moscow Philharmonic Society gives approximately three hundred of concerts per year.

Great Hall of the Moscow conservatory

Great Hall of the Moscow conservatory is one of the most famous concert venues not only in Moscow and Russia but in the world – thanks to its wonderful decoration, comfortable location and – which is the most important for the musicians – perfect acoustics.

It was opened on 7 (20) April 1901.

The building was made under the project of architect V. Zagorsky. The Hall’s famous façade was a feature of the building previously staying here – a house of Russian princess Ekaterina Dashkova which was built on this place in the end of the 18th century.

A big part of the whole work – from the furniture and carpets to the organ of Paris «А. Cavaille-Coll» company (1899) presently staying in the Hall – was funded by Russian patrons of arts. The organ of the Hall was regarded as one of the best organ in the world during the Paris exhibition of 1900. Great Hall for Moscow is much bigger then a concert hall only. During the First World War (1915 – 1917) it was a hospital here, and in a period of 1924 – 1933 at daytime the Hall was used as a popular movie theatre.

Since 1940 the Conservatory was named after Russian composer Pyotr Tchaikovsky, and in 1954 the monument to him was opened in front of the Great Hall.

The best soloists, orchestras and ensembles of the world play their concerts here. A number of international festival and competitions take place at the Great Hall, and among them there is the most famous in the world Tchaikovsky Competition. And it is considered as the most favorite hall in Moscow.

Now the Great Hall building is known as the Nikolay Rubinstein building (formerly the Fourth study building of the Moscow conservatory).

Capacity: 1737 seats

Address:  Bolshaya Nikitskaya, 13, metro station «Arbatskaya»

© International Rostropovich Festival “Mstislav Rostropovich Week”, 2010 — 2017